Thursday, June 4, 2009

New Couponers!!


Sometimes I forget that many of the readers are new to couponing...please forgive me. When I first began couponing I remember what it was like the first time I used a coupon - it was kind of intimidating. Just a few months ago, I told my brother about a great deal at Kroger where you could get 10 packs of cheese for FREE. (yep, he's a bachelor) Well, he went in and tried the cheese deal on his own and what should have been FREE he ended up paying $30 for! He vowed never to use coupons again. I hope this isn't you! You will make mistakes along the way, but remember you can always return items if something goes really wrong like my brother's transaction!! (Yep, he returned all 10 bags of cheese)

There are 3 different types of coupons
1. Manufacturer coupons-found in local papers, Coupons.com, magazines and even in the store on products (it will typically say Manufacturer's coupon somewhere on the q)
2. store coupons-found typically on store websites; Meijer and Target,
3. electronic coupons that you can load directly to your Kroger card-shortcuts.com

What to do with a coupon. Once the cashier has rung up all of your items, simply hand the cashier the coupon, they will scan it and it will take the money off your total!
Coupons may only be used once. You can't buy ten boxes of cereal and scan 1 coupon for $1 off each 10 cereal boxes. The store will only give you $1 off, if you have (10) $1 coupons they will give you $10 off.

You may use one coupon per item purchased. If you have two manufacturer's (manuf.) coupons to save $1 on one box of cereal you can't use both coupons on 1 box of cereal. You can buy two boxes and use both coupons. The coupon will say “one coupon per purchase.” There are a few stores that will allow you to use a manufacturer's coupon AND a store coupon on 1 product, for example Target, Meijer, and CVS. (Here's an example of this, I went to Meijer this week and bought Crystal Light, I used (1) $1 Manufacturer's coupon from the coupon bar to the right AND (1) $1 Meijer q here under specials and was able to get $2 off of 1 Crystal Light. Again the above stores are the only ones that I know of that you can use both a store q and a manuf. q)

Some stores double coupons! Know your store, here in Columbus, OH we are in a very good market so many stores double coupons up to $.99: Meijer, Kroger, and Giant Eagle. Walmart, CVS, and Walgreens do not double coupons. (To see if you store doubles coupons, you can look at an ad, many times the Meijer ad will state "Double Coupons up to $.99" at the bottom or just ask at the customer service desk.

Make sure read the wording of the coupon don't just look at the picture. Many times, manufacturer’s will put a picture of their most expensive product on the coupon to make you think that is what you HAVE to buy. If you actually read the terms of the coupon, it will usually say “save on ANY brand xxx product.” That means you can even buy the least expensive product and still save with the coupon!

Stand up for yourself! I've learned this overtime. If you are using coupons correctly then you can shop with confidence. Many times cashiers are misinformed. Be confident when you explain why you CAN use the coupon. If you're not sure WHY you can use the coupon, you can always pay, then take time to review your receipt or shoot me an email and after you figure it out, you can take your receipt up to the customer service desk the next time your at the store. It is your money and you should not feel bad about being a smart shopper!

Ask questions! If you have any questions, feel free to ask! I am more than happy to help!

Check back tomorrow for some more tips on couponing!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just started couponing myself, and it is difficult sometimes. Your blog is a big help I check it almost everyday. What was the great cheese deal at Kroger I would like to try it?

Amy said...

I'm glad you're getting into couponing! Unfortunately that awesome cheese deal at Kroger is over. If it ever comes up again, I'll be sure to post it. We did the deal quite a few times and got 90 bags of Kraft Cheese for FREE! (I still have some in my freezer!) It was a combination of a sale price and coupons.