Friday, January 7, 2011

What did you put in these muffins???

I don't know about you, but one of my goals for '11 is to eat a little healthier.Well, I wanted to make Blueberry muffins and pulled out my recipe.  I've always heard that you can substitute Applesauce for Oil in recipes and it cuts out all of the fat!  I have tried that a few times but I didn't have applesauce on hand.  So, I thought I'd try Squash Puree.  I know, thanks to having a little baby around...I have squash puree on hand and not applesauce?!?!  So I made them and my kids and I loved them...but we had to pass my hubby's test as he rarely eats vegetables unless I hide them!  Well, he started eating them and absolutely loved them.  He commented quite a few times how great they were.  He said he never would have guessed that there were veggies in them!  I love hiding veggies for my hubby!  :c)  So, here's the recipe:

1 egg
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup squash puree
1 cup blueberries
1 1/2 cups Flour (I used 1/2 whole wheat and 1/2 white)
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Combine wet ingredients then add to dry ingredients and mix. I put them in a greased muffin pan and it made 6 large muffins or 12 regular muffins.  I then do a topping on my muffins...I'm going to give you approximations as I never measure the topping ingredients.

Maybe 2 large spoons of butter
1/2 cup or so of Brown Sugar,
1/2 cup or so of pancake mix and a
1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon

Cut with a fork until all of the topping ingredients are combined...it should be pretty crumbly...if it's too wet add a little more pancake mix.
Bake at 400 for approx 20-25 minutes

No comments: